Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Creating Space, Listening to Stories... #SITD


I love listening to the stories of people's call towards ministry and their particular role at the intersection of disability, theology, service, and ethic. As I've said in some previous posts, I'm aiding my memory. I'm meeting some incredible people in the field and getting to know just a brief bit about them.

Devan & CJ @ SITD 2014 Dallas
 Devan Stahl (M.Div - Vanderbilt) is completing a PhD program at St. Louis University in bio-ethics focusing on the human genome project.  I heard Hans Reinders liked her paper -- that's about the highest compliment you can get!

CJ has spent 35 years of her career working in every possible position at the Brenham, TX SLS center - but has taken on her biggest role yet - chaplain.  Only in her current assignment for 2 months, she told me that her years of experience working in the facility has been invaluable in her ability to minister to numerous persons with disability on a regular basis.

Chris @ SITD 2014 - Dallas
I finally got to meet Christopher Philips today.  It's actually been 8 years since I first mentioned him in a post on this site.  He's been an immense help keeping databases and lists up on his site FaithAbility for years for both this event and the AAIDD Religion and Spirituality Division.  Thanks Chris!

#SITD #TheologyDisability