Sunday, March 30, 2008

All Cracked Up

Eggs. Nope, I'm not talking about Easter.

In sign language, there is a sign for eggs. At least I presume that my daughter taught me the correct one. With hands together, the movement looks like one is cracking an egg.

Today, she cracked eggs with me. She had already gotten the carton out of the fridge, opened up the drawer to get a mixing bowl and was ready to go for it.

This time I let her.

Carefully, she tap-tap-tapped the egg on the glass bowl, cracked it open and then put the egg shell away. 7 eggs later, she was done...and there was no mess. Together we mixed them, scrambled them, and fed everybody breakfast.

She knew what she needed to do, and did it successfully.

Yeah, I'm probably overprotective, I always step in and take care of it. I guess she knew how to do it by watching me.

And here I'm the one telling pastors to let people with disabilities step forward and serve, and minister, and be part of the church.

I don't think most churches are against people with disabilties, they are just overprotective. Maybe its time we relax, and let people engage in their gifts. Afterall, they've been watching us.

Together, we can all be cracked up.